Various responses to #202

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Various responses to #202
From: "Larry Wright" <LWright@impactofficepro.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:40:21 -0500
Alvin wrote:
>Are there any Hillman Hunters in the US?

        IIRC, I saw _one_ on eBay recently, repeatedly put up for
auction but no takers. IMHO, photos of car that had a real Eastern
Europe look to it.

Steve wrote:
>Larry,
>You have challenged me to show that my educationally motivated
response,
>for your edification, to make a stupid post have some benefit to Tiger
owners.

        And you rose to the challenge admirably; you covered every
vessel containing liquid in the the entire car except maybe the washer
bottle (and the sills).

Stu wrote:
>I tried mine at 33 psi, and the handling was really twitchy.

        I am only now beginning to believe that there's such a thing as
too much air in vehicle tires (I started out as a bicycle guy). Just
dropped my daily-driver's pressure from 32psi to 30psi and the car rides
better (duh!), feels less 'twitchy' and it sticks about as well as
before. 'Tis hard to get away from rock-hard tires as a badge of honor.
You might want to try every possible (uh, almost) variation until you
find what's right for you. I suspect that you'll discover that what
_feels_ right _is_ right. YMMV... (Probably should drop a few PSI in the
Garage Queen, come to think of it)

DJoh797014@aol.com wrote:
>Just this week I saw a Beretta towing a U-haul
>car hauler with a full size car on it.  The weight
>of the trailer and car easily exceeded the weight
>of the Beretta.

        Is that a good yardstick? Pretty sure that out utility trailer
with two scoops of topsoil outweighs our Nissan 200SX SE-R tow car's
weight -- but it's only for short distances, and you can really feel the
differnce when trying to use the brakes. I'd think that a fair % of
truly large travel trailers out-weigh even a Suburban, but that is pure
conjecture.

Jim wrote:
>The printer, who prints TE/AE's Rootes Review, inadvertently put last
year's
>ballot in the recently mailed newsletter by mistake.

        And there are any changes? Didn't notice 'em. :^) Thanks for the
heads-up, you just saved me 34 cents.

Alvin wrote:
>Hello Larry, I know its not Tiger content but it is British. I heard
about
>the trouble with the forks breaking but I don't plan to ride that hard
mostly
>vintage bike rides and bring to Car shows like Wheels & Wings. I only
has
>less than one mile and I have replaced tires and tubes.

        (NTC) Forgot about the forks. IIRC, the Lambert's bottom-bracket
bearings fail, and are an oddball design that interchanges with no known
replacement parts. Don't recall the other difficulties. Hang on to that
bike, I betcha it's one of few left. Didn't think of bringing bike to
car shows, but when I go to British cars shows I have bikes from about
every country _except_ the UK! :^)

Larry Wright
"I can't get no-- Satis-traction"

1958 Drysdale Grey Ghost [USA]
1961 Gitane Grand Sport [France]
1974 Schumann (Proteus) criterium bike [USA]
1974 Zeus fixed-gear [Spain]
1980 Palo Alto [Italy]
Oops! Yeah, forgot: 1964 Sunbeam Tiger.