RE: Transmission Manual

To: "lewis gooch" <lgooch@satx.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Transmission Manual
From: "Chris Thompson" <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:44:04 -0500
I actually contacted Norm about doing exactly this.  Chime in, Norm, if I've
got this wrong, but essentially his response was scanning the book was like
making Tigers out of Alpines.    The book is out of print, the plates are
gone, and now it's a collectors item, and I think he relishes this.  Fair
enough - it's his book.

Norm is a purist, and TBON reflects that.  It you're a purist as well, then
there really isn't any other source like TBON.  He walks you through every
change the factory made, and does a total anal-ysis of serial numbers, etc.
Visit Norm's web page (currently on the fritz) to see the degree to which
Norm takes it.  http://www.rootes1.com/index.asp.  If you're not a purist,
the book is a good read, but not an essential reference.  If concours were
done properly (IMHO), it would be THE reference.  But as far as commanding
$400?  I would call that the "e-bay phenomenom."

Shame Norm can't see his way to making the knowledge in the book more
available.  But it's his book, his research, his knowledge, his work, his
copyright, so you won't see it on TigersUnited without his permission.   Be
that as it may, the TigersUnited site has almost as much as what is in the
BOOK, and a whole lot more.

Chris