Re: Aluminum valve covers, was: What else !!!!!!!!!

To: "List Tiger" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Aluminum valve covers, was: What else !!!!!!!!!
From: "Charlton" <charlton@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 18:02:34 -0600
Bob, I have stock rocker arms.  I have heard that there might be some
clearance issues with roller rockers, possibly requiring removing the baffle
plate inside the rocker cover or even some grinding, but I don't know how
the roller rockers might affect removal.  It sure is something to consider.
I have a .512" lift cam (way too much, in my opinion, considering the 2.88
gears and stock trans ratios) --  I don't know if the engine might in some
instances need to be rotated to lower a lifted rocker arm at one end of the
head to allow getting the valve cover off.  BTW -- I've had two of the
adjusting nuts back off on the stock rockers; last time the engine ran so
rough it felt like the driveshaft was just about to fall out.  I have not
had a recurrence in over a year, but at the time of the last fix I did
consider going to rollers because of the more positive locking adjustment
nut.  If I have the covers off again I'll try to get measurements on the
roller rockers and decide then what to do.
Duncan