Front end doom and gloom

To: <DJoh797014@aol.com>
Subject: Front end doom and gloom
From: "Derek White" <derekw@sltnet.lk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:27:57 +0500
Dave and everyone,

I think Dave is doing an admiral job of playing devil's advocate here and if
his doom and gloom pontificating about the fulcrum pin design weakness saves
one life or one tiger, it will be worth it. He knows he is preaching a bit--
his "high horse" comment was his tongue-in-cheek way of admitting this.

A few things...
1) I am from Zambia, not South Africa, and I am currently living in Sri
Lanka. The pins were being made in Zimbabwe.

2) The EN24 pins are much stronger than the originals and after speaking to
several mechanical and aeronautical engineers this was deemed the best
material for the job (even stronger than the 300 and 400 series stainless
steels.) The only extra things we could have done were (a)to hard-chrome the
bush surface but this would have caused some surface embrittlement which
would reduce the fatigue strength and (b) shot peen the critical areas which
would have doubled the cost of the pins and according to the Air Zimbabwe
engineer who quoted on doing the peening, it would be safer to change the
pins twice as often rather than pay twice as much. Corrosion plus fatigue
are the cause of the original pins failing.

3) Supporting the pins from the outside (as per John Logan's design or
simple weld-on or bolt-on plates) is ESSENTIAL!! Why not do it? It is easy,
cheap and someone should make a kit. It reduces the bending loads on the pin
AND provides redundancy in case of failure.

Hope you all have a safe and fun year. I may be able to get more pins made
when I visit Afica in 3 weeks. cheers, derek