Welding Cautions

To: "'Larry Paulick'" <larry.p@erols.com>
Subject: Welding Cautions
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:30:14 -0600
Larry, Chris et al,
I really liked Chris's comments...sounds like he is a member of the
certified member of the Manly Man club too (He probably has the welding
scars to prove it). I have never used the copper thing and it sounds like a
great idea. I did use a paste that you squirt onto the steel and it absorbed
the heat pretty well. Only used this when I used to Braze panels and have
never needed it after a Mig though.
Couple of more comments on welding.
I forgot to mention that flanging the metal also provides a little extra
rigidity to the panel and helps to resist heat induced warping.
Another comment about using a shield while welding.
ALWAYS WEAR ONE!!!!!!!! I have myself done the look away thing but have the
face shield covering your exposed skin and turn far enough away that the arc
is not shining on eyelids as the UV light easily penetrates the eyelid and
will damage your vision......ask me ...I know as does any welder who has
experienced the "sandy" sunburned eyeball. Remember that the intensity of
the light created by an electrical arc is about 10 TIMES the intensity of
the sun and can definitely create skin cancer boils on exposed flesh.
A preferred method by me is to cup your welding glove over the arc to shield
both you and or Glass / Chrome / Stainless from the spatter and light of Mig
welding. The gloves tend to last a little less longer but it is made up for
it being far more convenient.
Changing the welder settings to fill holes is a great idea but when I weld I
am usually alone and under the @#$% car. My strategies are probably lazier
but work for me given my propensity to find a faster way.
The holes I was filling were Rarely larger than 3/16th of an inch and this
did not allow for me to spiral in as after 2 or 3 spots on the edge it is
usually filled. If you are blowing holes larger than this, there is likely a
setup problem with the welder.
Glad y'all liked the post.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak