Re: Heater core?

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Anthony & Susan" <jetbike@worldlynx.net>
Subject: Re: Heater core?
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:37:07 -0800
Anthony,
 I just pulled out my heater core (Mark1). Apparently non-stock, but
seemingly effective a previous owner had a plastic bag that appeared to be
filled with spray foam. What I gather they did was stuff the bag around the
core and then fill with the foam. It came out with little effort and no
mess. Given the way it looks the factory did it the foam filled bag might
seal more effectively and increase the heat output. Since I live in So. Cal.
I will reinstall the core (just in case), but not hook it up (I hate the
already tight, cluttered, engine compartment). I have a small portable 12V
electric heater (near instant heat) to defrost the windshield if ever
needed.
 My car had a molded rubber "gasket, duct, drip pan" that is relatively
intact and I will likely "Goop" where needed. If a replacement is not
available you might try that shower pan rubber. Fashion and trim it to fit.
To effect a drain you might try a household lamp stem through a hole in the
rubber where the old drain was. It can be locked with a washer and nut on
each side of the rubber and cut to the correct length. As to the duct part
(if the Mark 1a is the same as a Mark 1) Well......  maybe some water heater
venting and pop rivets will do???.
Regards, Tom Witt B9470101