Re: No Dip stickTube

To: Chris Mottram <c_mottram@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: No Dip stickTube
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:48:20 -0500
At 08:23 PM 1/19/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Thanks for all of the air compressor responses.
>My dipstick tube is broken and out.  I want to get the
>engine running and since Ford has obsoleted the tubes
>recently (along with several plants and 35000
>employees), I cant get a replacement soon.  The
>aftermarket one is too short.  Anyway, can I run my
>engine with the tube out or will oil spray out due to
>crack case pressure?  I have a cork whittled down to
>fit but if there is any reasonable amount of pressure
>I imagine it will pop out.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris
>Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
>http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Chris,
        There is a common steel brake line that is the same diameter
as the dipstick tube. Run down to your local parts store
and get one.  Cut to length and bend to match the original
broken piece.  If you get fancy you could brase or silver solder
a 1/6" dia wire ring around the new tube to keep the new tube located.
On mine I brased the old mounting bracket to the new tube as well.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others