Re: Dana 44 in the Salisbury rear end

To: Gene Sokolowski <tigeriowa@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Dana 44 in the Salisbury rear end
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:33:01 -0800
Gene,

I am sure you will get lots of advice here. The DANA 44 is the LAT
option for the Tiger, and describes the design (except for number of splines).

The same people who make the Jaguar transmissions and rear axles,
Salisbury, is owned by DANA and makes the DANA 44 in England for the MK
II Jag.  If you could get one of those (as I did) you will find it is
identical with one major exception. The carrier holes accept the larger
ring gear bolt used with the Tiger 2.88 rear end ratio. Other ratios,
obtained from US cars, will also fit, but the bolts are smaller, and
would require a stepped bolt. No Biggie, otherwise your drilling out the
US DANA to take the stock gear bolts.

Now, I know that lots of people like to put 3.54's in the rear, and
wonder why the revs are so high in 4th. Then the spend much bucks
putting in a T-5, which is weaker than the standard Top Loader.

The major reason for this swap is not a deficiency in the rear end
gears, but the wrong ratios in the gear box. This causes first gear to
get to 60 mph. Not much for fast acceleration from a stop. Tiger changed
to the Ford Wide Ratio gears in the Mk II, and it made it really scoot,
and still cruise a a reasonable rpm.  These gears are interchangeable
with the close ratio, and much more fun. Downloadable gear/rear end/
tire / road speed calculator on TigersUnited.com  Fun to use.

More information on the TigersUnited Forum, under transmissions.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman