End of steering column story

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: End of steering column story
From: "Rose, Mark" <mrose@ou.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 00:06:07 -0600
Well, here is the latest update of the lost steering column. Ken Mattice and
Jim Leach both offered to sell me a restored column without a core to trade-
which I appreciated. So, I bought a restored column and was putting mine
back together and realized I had left the plastic ring pieces that surround
the column where the horn wire attaches. I started the search for these
little pieces but more on that later...

Meanwhile, UPS you remember, lost the column but blamed it on faulty packing
and would not pay the $250 insurance claim. The shipping company that
finished packing my tube would not pay the claim until they inspected the
tube (I had sealed one end already with strapping tape that I feel certain
was strong enough). They said the end that came open might have been the end
I sealed and wanted to see for themselves. They requested UPS to send them
the tube. UPS then lost the tube and couldn't send it back. Now, 3 = weeks
later, UPS has issued a claim and want to pay the $250 and be done with it.
I called them and asked if they would check again with their lost and found
departments. I then asked if they knew what they were looking for? "Oh sure,
just some ol' steering column ain't it? Can't be that hard to find." So, I
sent some digital pictures of the restored column and less than a day later
they called back and said they can't find it and never will because they
have stopped looking.

Shipping company now denies any responsibility because UPS wants to pay the
claim - which doesn't even cover the cost of the restored column, not to
speak of my time and effort dealing with them. Anyway, Jim had located a
plastic piece but it was a little damaged. On the same day I heard from Jim,
one of my coworkers asked if I had seen the Alpine for sell in the paper
that day. So, I called the guy and asked what condition the car was in and
if he had a steering column. I went by after work and found out by the
serial number that it was an Alpine series IV and it had the pieces I needed
from the steering column. I told him I didn't need the whole car but I'd buy
the column from him. We were doing the deal and his wife came out and said,
"No, if you want to buy the column, you have to buy the whole car!"

Long story short - I now have my plastic piece, my steering column is back
together and I have an Alpine IV with parts. Gauges, seat frames, seat
rails, gas tank sending unit, defroster pieces, heater and cage, windshield
wiper arm and motor, door handles and more. I'm going to clean some of them
up and put on ebay, but let me know if you need something that I have. I'd
like to give listserve folks first shot. Not making a living off these
parts, just getting my money back. I can take pics and send them to
individuals if you are looking for something specific.

Hope you enjoyed the story for a Monday morning.

Mark