Re: Fake tiger on Hemmings

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>,
Subject: Re: Fake tiger on Hemmings
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 09:13:45 -0800
  Well stated Bob. I would agree that it is hard to get a price on an Alger
because they are often not found to be Algers until after the fact. Thus,
there is a "tainting" of the car once it is past off as real (and paid too
much for) and then found to be a fraud (and likely sell for less than it
might be worth even as an Alger). Likely a  car stated to be an Alger from
the start would draw more money (though not too much more).
   Perhaps if one were to look at the Cobra and the value of a clone vs the
value of a real one you could get a ratio of the difference of what the cost
between an Alger and a Tiger SHOULD be.
 Too bad there is not a catagory for Algers in the general "Tiger World."
It would be respectful of the labors (and improvements) that  have been put
into a Sunbeam Alpine and at the same time honor the Tiger for what it
really is. I guess that the fraud issue is just too great to easily get
past.
   Hopefully someday even the Tiger will get the respect it deserves. I have
been familiar with the car car since it came out and I was 7 years old.
Sigma one it is the "poor man's Cobra." Number two most of them are rusted
(a reality that depends on treatment). Number three you can't get to any
bolts on the car (a reality that depends on your patience). And number four
it could be an Alpine fraud (a reality based upon you nowledge and
investigation - before the sale). I think if the general automotive world
could get beyond those four things (and they are all passable) the value of
the Tiger would likely go up $15,000 or more (my opinion) based on the
selling price of other what I see as less significant cars. Tom Witt
B9470101