Re: VIN plate removal

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: VIN plate removal
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:42:51 -0500
At 07:36 PM 3/16/02 EST, CoolVT@aol.com wrote:
>With this talk of plate removal,  I'd be curious to know just how many state
>motor vehicle inspectors across this country would be able to spot 35 year
>old, "non-original"  rivets.  I'd be willing to bet "zero."     Of course if
>I was going in with new rivets, I think I'd have them looking aged with some
>kind of acid solution or
>such:-)

Well, in some states, such as Virginia, inspections are conducted by
private garages.  And the data plate (again, NOT a "VIN plate", as that was
a creation of 1968, the same acts which damned the Sunbeam to die its
agonizing death in the US) is NOT on the check-list for the inspectors --
they are concerned over things such as brakes and exhaust systems and the
like.

I did put my Sunbeam through a Connnecticut inspection in '74 or so, done
by a State Police dude at the local DMV, but it was really cursory.
Virginia is a lot tougher.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!