Re: 351 W head application

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Subject: Re: 351 W head application
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 10:25:00 -0800
Chris,
  Thanks for your reply. I agree about the foot dragging. I am not even at
the engine part yet (but like to plan for the future) and I have heard what
you say. I also read though (I think it was it the CAT shop notes) that
stock 351W heads were on par with ported 289 heads. My engine is a standard
4bbl 289 that had what I understand to be a 10:1 C/R. Thus, with todays gas
and a resulting high 8 - low 9 C/R with 351 W heads I didn't see it as a
real negative. I also read that the increased chamber volume in the 351W
heads promotes better breathing around the vaves and a better flame pattern.
I'm a "tinker-er" so as enduring as it gets I still like to clean up my
ports if I pull a head. Maybe for some guys who pay to have everything done
for them and replace everything regardless of condition the aftermarket
heads are the way to go. For me it was only a matter of "Pick A Parting" the
heads for $50, minor porting by myself (free) and then a $50 valve job.
Therefore, if for a few days "tinkering" (work), and  $100  I could gain
15-20 HP, and have valve seats with greater life, it seemed worthy of my
time.
  My goal is not the nicest looking or fastest Tiger. I have started with a
$5,000 near basket case. I know a lot of people will think I'm crazy, but I
am looking at a total of about $8,000 (car included) when done and having an
almost completely reconditioned/rebuilt car. Even if I am only competing
with my own "ideal" I am just striving for a presentable car, that is
somewhat faster than stock, for the least amount of money. I get more joy
out of having a primered car that people say " it will look great when you
get it done," rather than giving it the only paint job I can afford and have
people criticize it. It may not be concours stock or wickedly quick but it
will be a Tiger brought back from the brink of extinction and I can find
great satisfaction in that. Thanks for your info, I really appreciate it.
Tom Witt B9470101