Re: More Fire Extinguisher Queries

To: hughes@scides.canberra.edu.au, SFordRB@aol.com
Subject: Re: More Fire Extinguisher Queries
From: SFordRB@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 21:23:38 EDT
The issue of ozone holes and global warming are still undecided. The science
used is of questionable quality. The most recent readings taken by the
researcher indicate just the opposite of your statement. The research is
based, in part, on a comparison of records of the past @100 years. Time wise
this is insufficient for the establishment of any long term trends.

But, it is always better to error on the side of caution. Military aircraft
still carry halon extinguishing equipment (so I guess the gov't has decided
that it is safe enough for their use). While being safe and environmentally
sensitive we must also weigh when the benefit of a product outweighs the
danger of it's use in a limited range of situations, i.e. commercial
airlines.

In closing, as an academic find the misuse of science abhorrent but, I too
use sunscreen and am concerned about the destruction of our overtaxed
environment.

Sean