Re: Tiger wheel mounting.

To: "Tigers (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tiger wheel mounting.
From: Bennett Cullen-R51465 <Cullen.Bennett@Motorola.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:21:40 -0700
Steve,

>I imagine this is lateral wobble, but am not sure. It could be radial
>(circumferential) centering. This is a whole new kettle of fish. Radial
>eccentricity.

Actually, the "wobble" was worst case peak-to-peak deviation, on either lateral
or radial variation. Some folk refer to lateral movement as "squirm" (I
believe). I was actually very impressed with the shop that did the work. They
had a combination lathe and horizontal mill half the size of my home garage to
perform the work. I attribute the degree of radial accuracy to the way that
they determined the "center" of the wheel before they started boring the insert
pockets. The part that translates into lateral "wobble" is the degree to which
they can mount the wheel perpendicular to the axis of rotation before boring.
Of course, starting with a good forged or cast wheel carcass helps to insure
that the mounting "flat" is perpendicular to rotational axis. "Silk purses
seldom come from pigs ears".
regards,
Cullen in Tempe (B9472658)