Mufflers under the trunk

To: Per Lidefelt <lena.hagelqvist@telia.com>
Subject: Mufflers under the trunk
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:56:01 -0700
I've run mufflers under the trunk of one of my Tigers since the early
70's.  It definitely changes the pitch of the exhaust note if not the total
amount of noise.  One thing you need to consider is the heat given off from
these mufflers.  Under the car, the heat is bad enough, but in the trunk,
you can melt, warp, overheat and potentially start fires with this heat
load.  I've always used a sheet of asbestos-cement to insulate this heat
path, but that stuff is impossible to find these days.  You will also have
to beef up the supports as the OEM mounts are insufficient when you get
that much weight back there.  I use an angle iron bar that goes the width
of the trunk with cutout notches for the exhaust pipes.  U-bolts, upside
down attach the pipes to the angle.  That way you can use the same type of
rubber isolators but add as many as you need to support the increased load.

Tom