Re: Outer axle hub removal

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Gene Sokolowski" <tigeriowa@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Outer axle hub removal
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 13:32:14 -0700
Gene,
  The hub removal on Tigers is an interesting issue. Some have had it easy
and others most difficult. Each of us in the latter catagory has come up
with their own methods. Below is what I have done to get my hubs off:

 PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT THERE IS CHANCE OF DAMAGE AND YOU TRY IT AT YOUR OWN
RISK. I lost a $4 axle nut in the process and had to file the axle threads.
Though servicable the axle threads were never the same.

"Dear list poster (name withheld),

Been there done that. I assume the backing plates are still on (?), that
was a real problem to even using a press. There was no way of supporting the
hub that did not involve long bendable arms and you also have to be careful
not to bend the backing plate.
O.K., here is how I got the hubs off. I don't know what will work for you,
but if you want you can give it a try at your own risk. I bolted the
hub/axle to
the steel wheel spare tire (a rim would probable work better, or just let
the air out of the
spare tire). This keeps the studs straight and supports the hub/axle without
interfering with the backing plate. I then suspended the rim closely between
two saw horses (offset the legs to get them close). You need to loosen the
nut (of course) and it is recommended that it be backed off flush with the
axle. A word of caution here is that on one of my axles I still slightly
damaged the treads on the axle. If two smaller (thinner) nuts could be found
and though not tightened to the hub,
they are tightened together flush with the end of the axle it might help
protect the treads better by preventing a loose nut from wobbling on the
axle.
Saturate the axle/hub with penetrating oil. Place a sacrificial steel plate
over the nut. Then get a 10 lbs., long handle sledge hammer. I used full
force (well I only weigh 154 lbs so you interperate "full") overhead swings.
I also used a propane torch for heat, but was later told that due to the
limited heat it was probably not the best thing to do. An oxycetelene
(spelling?) torch puts out a lot more heat faster and is likely to expand
the hub before the axle. Anyway, it took approx. 15-20 of these full force
blows before it would give. Just when I thought it never would... it did. I
can't vouch for how the rim will fair (at that point I didn't care). Even my
rickety saw horses held up though (amazingly), and, oh yea, don't do this on
dirt you need a firm surface. Also be careful that sacrificial steel plate
can really fly! I hope this works for you and that nothing gets damaged in
the process. I don't think this is so much an issue of pressure (as from a
press) as it is abruptness of the blow (as from a hammer)."
 Regards, Tom Witt
B9470101
P.S. You may hear from some who will tell you just a few whacks on a puller
and theirs came off. Trust me they are the LUCKY one's.