Re: Outer axle hub removal

To: "Gene Sokolowski" <tigeriowa@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Outer axle hub removal
From: "DAVID GREEN" <alpdavegre@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 21:41:32 -0700
Gene,

Heat and a four legged puller so that each leg will bolt to a lug stud. Be
sure to put either the original nut or a sacrificial nut on the axle shaft up
to the edge of the axle shaft threads. If you don't do this you will swell out
the end of the axle shaft and make it impossible to put the nut back on.
Tighten the puller as tight as you can get it. Heat the hub evenly around.
Retighten puller. Get big hammer and wack the end of the pullers shaft. You
may have to do this a few times. If you use penetrating oil you will just burn
it off when heating (lots of stink & smoke). It has always worked for me. If
the rear axle assly. is in the car and car is driveable you can loosen the
axle shaft nut 2 turns take it outfor a drive and make a few slightly
aggressive right and left turns. This should pop the hubs loose.
Dave Green a few Alpines & 1 Tiger.