RE: Regarding 5 Speed trans articles at TU

To: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: RE: Regarding 5 Speed trans articles at TU
From: "Crawley,John" <johnc@nait.ab.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 08:57:01 -0600
Tom:
You wrote: "I have investigated and found that the gear set from a 77-78 Ford
Granada (a real Pick A Part car) had the following "overdrive" gears that fit
the Tiger case: 1st 3.29, 2nd 1.84, 3rd 1.00, 4th .81. Any comments on these
ratios and the Tiger (with 2.88 gears likely 195-60 13's tires)."

When I was looking for an alternative to my TIGER's close ratio transmission I
was in the same boat as you $ wise. I read the CAT Shop Notes article about the
Granada gears and started on a quest to build an overdrive top loader. I
started by buying the gears at a swap meet and then found a Pick-Your-Part 78
Granada. I ended up owning three OD tranys (2 with .81 and one with .30)  and a
close ratio in parts. To make an incredibly long story short the gears will fit
but the output shaft for the OD transmissions is too short for the TIGER
top-loader and it must be used if you want to build a reliable transmission. I
opted for adapting an entire 30% Granada top-loader OD transmission into the
TIGER. The solution on how to do this is simple but like many simple things
took a long time to come up with. If you are ever interested get in contact and
I'll let you know how. When it was finished it bolted into the TIGER with NO
modification to the car. I have run this transmission for 24,000 miles in my
TIGER and have formed a love - hate relationship with it. I have 2.88 gears and
195-60 13's tires. Off the line it's way better than the close ratio. Second
gear is perfect but the step to third is just a tad too long. I love the 30% OD
on the highway so much though, that I put up with the few times the 2 - 3
gearing is wrong.
Dee and I live In Edmonton and to go anywhere, other than on local runs, it is
a three hour drive so when we tour it is long, hard and fast. I often run at
3,000 RPM for two to three hours with this setup (only on a closed circuit with
professional driver of course). A five-speed would be nice but my OD top-loader
did not cost much to build, if you ignore all the spare trany iron that now
sits in my storage.
Would I do it again? I am not sure. As I get a little older and drive a little
slower I am beginning to think that a wide ratio is the way to got but then at
the price of the gears and the work to do it and I do love that OD . . . . .
Godspeed
Jc