427? Why not a 440?

To: Anthony & Susan <jetbike@worldlynx.net>
Subject: 427? Why not a 440?
From: sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 17:48:39 -0700
Well, now that you mention it:
June 2002 Hot Rod Magazine has an article on the new Dart Iron Eagle
blocks.  There's the 8.2 inch deck height (which, I guess is the basic
302 block) and they go up to a 9.5 inch deck height (I think that's the
basic 351W block ?).
The bores are all 4.185 inches, so with a 9.5 inch deck height, 4.000
inch stroke and a 6.200 inch rod length, you get 440 cubic inches in a
351W envelope.
I don't know if the 4.185 bore and the 4.000 stroke make for a "good"
motor, though I'd love to have bragging rights for putting one in my
car, but having talked to James Barratt about his 351 Cleveland swap, I
think this one is definitely beyond me.
On the other hand, I've seen some VERY talented "envelope pushers" on
this list--so who's gonna be the first on the block with a 440 Tiger?

Regards

David Sosna
'66 Tiguar