Re: Clock ground

To: stubrennan@attbi.com
Subject: Re: Clock ground
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:09:23 -0700
Stu, and Tigers

Just a word on Smith's clocks. As we all know, there were many models
within the Tiger line, and many more within the British car community.
Some looked close, some did not.

BUT there was also a fundamental design difference I was unaware of (and
of course had purchased). I don't know if many know (or care) about this
part of the history, but I am stating it to assure I am dealing with
someone who knows.

Everyone, I believe, has heard of MOMA for our instrument repair. What
most do not know is that MOMA was two people. Morris and Martha.  Well,
they hit splitsville, and Martha moved states and took that business
name with her. Morris is still here in Los Angeles, and still works on
Smiths/Jaeger instruments. He worked on mine.

He told me that the model dash clock I had was the one with an internal
battery (as well as an external wire), was not a good design, and parts
were not available.

So much for fixing it. So he removed the original face and put it on a
same diameter VDO clock that runs just fine. Of course there are no side
time adjust knobs, or rate slot, and the adjustment is from a center
knob - but it is accurate and reliable. The bad news is that VDO
discontinued the larger sized bodies, but they may be available from
older German pick-a- parts. Such is Old Car Life.

OK, that's the skinny. The face part number is covered by the VDO bezel,
so I can't read it, but you do have fair warning about replacement
clocks. And another source of instrument repair:

West Valley Instruments
19314 Vanowen St.
Reseda, CA (West of Tampa)
818-758-9500

Ask for MOrris.

(Now on the http://www.TigersUnited.com (Links - Online Resources section).

http://www.TigersUnited.com/tunited/links.asp

He can recalibrate speedos if you count your cable turns pushing the car
52.8 feet a few times. Disconnect speedo cable, attach masking tape as a
flag, layout the distance with chalk marks (OFF THE STREET), have a
friend push the car and watch when a body part of the car starts and
stops at the mark. Write down the turns, and fractions of a turn. Repeat.

That's all you need.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman