Re: Rack and pinion

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "JIM McGee" <jimmcgee65@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Rack and pinion
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:24:07 -0700
Jim,
 Sorry to hear about your rack problem. I hope it can be fixxed. I finally
pulled the rack on my rest-o project of 2.5 years and found some idiot had
welded on an Alpine tie rod and the treaded part of the rod. Apparently it
was broken off by a previous owner.
 In my case I hope to cut off the non-original part off, thread the
remaining with a die and then using a threaded hex piece (like a long nut)
attach that to a threaded rod and then to the tie rod end. In theory it is
basically what is used when the MG Midget rack is used. In fact if it works
out well I will do the other side also and make it adjustable the way it
"SHOULD" have been.
Anyway if it is any comfort.. you are not the only one with rack troubles.
Regards, Tom Witt B9470101