Re: Amp gauge wire colors

To: TM <strombecker@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Amp gauge wire colors
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:27:23 -0700
Tigers and TM,

Can't speak for Norman's one word reply, as I can't trace it's meaning.
He does know his Tigers, but the one word message is indecipherable to
me with the information available.

Anyway, my Rootes Workshop Manual clearly shows the ammeter with dashed
lines for the connections, indicating option, but ONLY on the generator
equipped models. The Mk II does NOT show any ammeter wiring or device.

The wire between the Generator Control Box (Regulator) goes to terminal
B and is labeled "WR", which MIGHT mean a combination (stripped) of the
listed "W" (White) and "R" (Red). This goes to the left (facing
instrument) terminal. The wire coming back is labled "N", which is
clearly indicated as "Brown". This wire goes to the Starter Motor
Solenoid Relay on the terminal connected to the "+" of the battery.

Don't ask me why they chose those letters, the others were at least
close, except for "U", which is Blue!

Is it possible that, over the years, color leaching has occurred between
the red/white stripes until the bleed into "pink"? Could it be difficult
to see and the colors blend together?  If I can't get my head in there
with my glasses on, things tend to blur, as well. I don't know.

Pink is NOT a listed color on any chart I have for the Tiger, except for
the Playboy Tiger body color, located on http://www.TigersUnited.com .
You want to see it, go find it. (8-) The hood ornament makes it worth
the effort.

But, did you know that J. Edgar Hoover was known to secretly wear a pink
tutu in private?

Perhaps that has something to do with Lucas wire color choices? (8-)
--
Steve Laifman