bent pushrod

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: bent pushrod
From: "Arnie Sugar" <asugar@hwageo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:05:38 -0700
Oddly enough, I had the same power loss/rough engine thing just happen,
and it was the fuel filter.  However, that was just a warmup for things
to come...
Last week I heard a loud top end knock, which upon removing the valve
cover turned out to be a bent pushrod and rocker arm askew on the valve.
Of course its on the #8 intake, the farthest one back, the only one that
can't be installed with the heads/motor in place? or are there any
tricks for this?  Small comfort, I could get the bent rod out.
Any ideas on what would cause this, what to look for, how far to tear
down, etc?  I'd like to know what caused it before just replacing the
pushrod, no? Should I pull the head off ?  I inspected all the other
pushrods on that side, #7 intake was also bent, but the rocker was still
aligned.  Details - it's a 289, with only 3000 miles on it, albeit
rebuilt around 15 years ago, with a Crane cam, hydraulic lifters, chrome
moly TRW pushrods, and it burns some oil (I always suspected the engine
didn't break-in properly - not sure if this could be related).  I'm a
bit rusty, as I haven't opened up a V-8 in over a decade.
Arnie