Re: Fulcrum pins again

To: Michael McBeth <mmcbeth@peacock.ca>
Subject: Re: Fulcrum pins again
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 10:13:02 -0700
Michael McBeth wrote:

> Don't worry, I think I phrased my question poorly. My real question is: what
> purpose does the metal sleeve in the bushing serve? The extra thickness of
> the pins is accomodated by doing away with the metal sleeve.
> Michael

Michael,

The purpose of that metal sleeve is to provide a lubricated metal bearing
surface for the fulcrum pin to rotate against. It would quickly wear
away the original rubber bushing without it. Your rear springs have them
too, but fused on.

HOWEVER, with the urethane material it is possible to let it be the
lubricated bearing surface as it is slick and can take the abrasion.

Anyway, that's the way I think it works. ($.02)
--
Steve Laifman
Editor