How Tach-ie

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: How Tach-ie
From: "Doug & Rett Leithauser" <dleit@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:40:19 -0400
I got around to calibrating my tachometer today. I had expected there to be
a rubber plug over the calibration potentiometer, but on my car, the tach
has no opening that allows access to the adjustment.
Fortunately, the cover came off the tach easily and I was able to remove the
tach from the housing and calibrate it to a diagnostic tachometer. This gave
me the chance to clean inside the lens, so now my speedo & tach are clean &
all the other gauges look dirty.
So, there I was, holding the innards of my tachometer in my hand while it
was connected to the cars wiring harness with jumper wires. I felt like a
heart surgeon.
The adjustment is very sensitive, it takes very little turning of the
potentiometer to make a large change in the reading.
I set it at 3000 rpm, and so far it seems pretty close, but I did see that
at higher rpm the diagnostic tach was reading higher then the car's tach,
about 4150 at an indicated 4000 on the cars tach. I did not check any higher
than 4000.This may not be a real issue, as my valve gear should be good for
over 6000 rpm & the tach only reads to 5500.
I hope my pistons are good to 6 grand too ;-)
    I will be out with the Tiger tomorrow for the Woodward Avenue Dream
Cruise, are any other listers planning on being there?

Happy Motoring
Doug Leithauser