Brake This

Subject: Brake This
From: ssage@socal.rr.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:01:18 -0700
While bleeding the Tiger's brakes, and then adjusting the rear brakes, a
1" (approx) metal "fork" fell onto the ground in the vicinity of the
left rear wheel/brake assembly. It is a fork shape, with about a 1/2"
entension to it which has a small hole through it, like it should be
attached to something. I don't think a part falling off a brake is a
good thing. The closest piece to it I can see in the shop manual is in
the diagram on Page 9 of the Brakes section, #19, the Distance Piece.
The drawing doesn't show the extension with the hole in it, if it is
indeed on part #19, as the drawing of it is partially blocked by part
#18, the spring plate.

Is the part that fell off indeed #19, the Distance Piece? What is the
consequence of that piece not being where it is supposed to? And why the
heck did it fall off while I was adjusting the brakes?

I only drove the car a few feet up and back a few times  to test brake
feel, which seems fine, after the part fell off.

Ideas, suggestions, warnings and any appropriate insults are always
welcomed.

Steve Sage
Tiger MK1A