Re: Bellhousing

To: "The List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bellhousing
From: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 05:48:20 -0700
Frank M. Wrote:

I'm looking at modifying a 6-bolt bellhousing to take my narrow pattern
toploader.  I'm figuring on starting with a 6-bolt aluminum housing for
the wider pattern and building bosses to be fitted with thread inserts.
I'm also figuring I might have to swap the bearing retainer on the
transmission for the larger version if that is what the 6-bolt
bellhousings require.

Is there an easier way? I want to stay with the early toploader case.
Does a 6-bolt bellhousing with the proper transmission pattern exist?
I've heard that it does and that there are some with the bosses already
in place (but not drilled) but I've not been able to find one.  I know
the cast iron ones (6-bolt, bosses in place but not drilled for narrow
transmission) are fairly plentiful but I would like to stay with the
aluminum.

Frank,

I did the modification you spoke of on a 6-bolt housing.

I have seen pictures of bellhousings with both the narrow and wide patterns, I
searched for one when I put the 302 in my car, but never found one. I finally
became impatient and bought a wide pattern. I bought a large bearing retainer,
and fabricated some aluminum blocks to weld into the space where the narrow
pattern would penetrate the housing The local TIG welder put them in for me. I
drilled and tapped the holes myself, without using inserts. Its been working
OK for 6 years. Autocrossing, drag racing, general abuse included.

I've heard the Lakewood scattershields can be cut to clear the tunnel without
significantly weakening them. No real accurate info on that though.

MS