Re: Value of Tiger in the Midwest

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Value of Tiger in the Midwest
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 23:22:41 -0500
Hi, everybody:

I just wanted to take a moment to respond to this thread regarding values of
Tigers in the Midwest.  I'm aware that I'll probably get flamed for this,
but what the heck; it's only my opinion.  So, here goes.

There seems to be a notion out there that Tigers residing in this part of
the country are worth less than Tigers in other parts.  Folks, a nice Tiger
is a nice Tiger; it doesn't matter where in the country it is located.  I
would readily put my Mk1A up against any other Tiger in the country as far
as quality is concerned.  When put on a level playing field, i.e. equal
quality of cars, how can someone say that the Midwest car is worth less?
The only possible explanation for this is that the population concentrations
of these cars seem to be on either coast, thereby making them more readily
available to buyers in those areas if and when they come up for sale.
Really, however, I think that's a crock because if someone is really serious
about getting a nice car and there is one for sale in the Midwest part of
the country, doesn't it stand to reason that this person would travel (if
possible) to view and possibly buy the car?

Personally (and let the flames begin), although I totally understand the
reason for the existence of the TAC program, I just can't help thinking that
it is part of the cause for this perception of value differences across the
country.  I was a member of this list when the TAC was formed and I remember
people saying that it would end up allowing members who were fortunate
enough to have a TAC inspection in their general area to be able to ask more
for their cars come sale time because they were "authenticated."  The
originators of the TAC program, however, poo-pooed this idea, saying that
nothing of the kind would happen.  I think it is reasonable to assume at
this point that, given the statement that "values of Tigers are less in the
Midwest," the lack of a TAC program around here (Oklahoma, in my case) is
definitely hurting values.  I can only speak for my car and a couple of
others I've known forever around here, but our cars are just as authentic as
the ones on either coast that have been TACed...why, then, should they be
considered to be of lower value, considering that the TAC program was
supposedly not set up to inflate the value of "authenticated" Tigers in the
first place?

I would love to become a TAC inspector in my area, but I understand that it
takes three TAC inspectors in any given area to make an authentication
legal.  Well, that blows us out of the water because there are hardly even
enough Tiger owners around here to be called up for "duty."  So, does the
lack of a TAC program in the Midwest hurt the value of our cars?  I think
the answer is a resounding YES!

Now, before I get flamed too badly, I do want to again point out that, on
the whole, I think the TAC idea is a good one...in theory.  I do wish,
however, that the "theory" could be applied in other places besides just the
coasts.  I also want to point out that, whereas I don't feel that the group
who birthed the TAC did it with the idea foremost in mind to build up the
values of "authenticated" Tigers, I do believe that it has had that result.
Anyway, this is just my two cents worth.

Thanks,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B382001600LRXFE