Stuck In A Bog

Subject: Stuck In A Bog
From: ssage@socal.rr.com
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:48:35 -0700
Hello Tiger Fans:
A new question, but first, thanks for the advice last week on my hot
ignition switch. I took a lister's advice and took the switch out,
washed it out with an electronics cleaner spray, dried it and
re-installed. Turns out it still gets hot. However, in checking all the
wires back there I've installed (it looks something like the Spaghetti
Factory under the dash...one of these years I'll neaten it up), I found
a connection I'd forgotten about. When I had installed my Tiger air
conditioning, I ran a guide wire from the ignition switch "On" post to
the AC fan blower switch so that the AC compressor can only work with
the ignition on. Even though this wire is only supposed to sense the
ignition "on" position and not carry a lot of voltage, it heats up the
ignition switch for some reason. (Power for the AC blowe comes directly
from the fuse block, not the ign. switch). I'm going to instead run the
wire from the AC fan switch to the mighty Lucas fuse block under the
hood (adding an extra in line fuse, of course), and see if that cools
things down. If that doesn't work, it's probably my Pertronix hot coil,
and I'll try Steve L's suggestion to install a switch relay.

I've had a severe "pinging" problem with my hi-po 289 since it was
installed a couple of years ago that I think I've finally solved by
playing around with different distributor advance springs. Now, I can
stand on the pedal and rev it up past 6,000RPM (where my courage runs
out) and, today anyway, no pinging. However, off idle, there's a huge
"bog". Now, when I nail the pedal in first, the car kind of sits there
(it's moving, but not too fast) and then around 23-2500 RPM it really
takes off like a bat out of *&^%%$$!!. I run a Holley Street Avenger 570
CFM vacuum secondary carb. I put the next step heavier secondary spring
in and no improvement, maybe even a bit worse. I'll try a heavier spring
yet tommorow, but the instruction sheet for the spring kit says that
secondary bogs usually happen above 2000 RPM, and that bogs off idle are
"more likely" accelerator pump issues.

Or, could the distributor springs I put in be too stiff, delaying
advance for too long (with everything suddenly cutting in at 2500 RPM)?
Maybe I should leave one of the new stiffer springs in and put back one
of the old softer springs and see if the "bog" goes away.

What's the opinion out there?

Thanks, as usual.
Steve Sage
1967 MK1A