Re: Steering Wheel Removal WRONG.

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal WRONG.
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:35:28 EDT
<A HREF="mailto:JACranwell@aol.com";>JACranwell@aol.com</A> writes:

<<< 4. Loosen the wheel from the shaft spline by pushing the shaft fully down

       then sharply up...

Julian,
       Having rebuilt over 100 Sunbeam Tiger steering columns, I assure you
that is exactly the WRONG way to remove a steering wheel.  By slamming the
wheel against the upper stop on its sliding adjuster you will bend the
associated tubular dowel pin causing the adjuster to drag or solidly jam.
This applies to all telescopic steering columns in both Sunbeam Tigers and
Alpines.

       One of the most difficult challenges of restoring a steering column is
making a damaged adjuster work properly.  Secondly, I have found two sliding
adjusters that have developed cracks determined my magnetic particle
inspection (Magnaflux) and I have heard of two others.

       If anyone is interested in reading about a safe way to remove a
steering wheel, send me a note off-list and I will forward a recently updated
article I wrote several years ago that was printed in the PTC, CAT, and TEAE
newsletters.

Jim Leach    Pacific Tiger Club     Seattle