Re: Speedometer gear - got one for 3.07s

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Speedometer gear - got one for 3.07s
From: garywinblad@attbi.com
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:38:39 +0000
> 1) The Speedometer indication can be adjusted with re-
magnetization of
> an age reduced drag magnet and reaction spring that
makes the needle
> read a specific number at a specific cable rotational
rate.  This can be
> done over a wide range of incorrect values for the
rest of the driving
> chain (below). Usually it is accurate at the
calibration speed
> indication chosen, and falls off on either side. This
is normal even
> with correct driving set-up, but gets worse the more
you divert from the
> correct set.

Steve,

Rather than re-magitize, I have been successful in doing
the following:
If you look at the face down where your revs/mile number
is located, you will notice a small dot.  I believe this
is the needle pre-load point.  This is where the needle
should sit when you let it go below the spring loaded 0
stop.  Putting the needle back on with more or less pre-
load compensates for the different magnet attraction
(well you physics guys might not agree, but it works for
me!).  When I was younger and stupider, I used to drive
the car at a know speed (by the Tach) and THEN put the
needle on at the correct speed indication.
Gary