Re: Chrome trim piece

To: Sjhcobra1@cs.com, Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chrome trim piece
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:34:52 -0700
Mark,

1) Yes the originals are button head rivet type and there are no new ones.
2) Yes, taking them off with a drill (you can't reach the backside to
file them off) often ends up spun shanks and larger holes and depressed
panels where the drill was pushed too hard when the rivet was spinning.
3) Yes the plastic replacement ones have an "H" shape, and a right
angled button to snap in the hole. The "H" ears are horizontal and do
snap into the original strips. They seem to hold.
4) There is ALWAYS an exception to every rule. In this case, the front
and rear trim holders are thin square heads on a threaded shank,
fastened from behind the fender with a nut.  These hold the strips from
coming off under vibration. I made my own replacements for the corroded
threaded fastener. I used a stainless small machine screw, and filed the
head square and thin to fit. A stainless nut and lock washer was used on
the inside. It will be worth it at the end places where you can get to
the nuts.

Steve

--

Steve Laifman