Re: Alpine brakes

To: JimboAnder@aol.com
Subject: Re: Alpine brakes
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:43:29 -0800
Jim,

I agree with Michael, as I did replace my master cylinder with the new
Lucas (Girling) Master Cylinder. It is not only for the Tiger, so has
features for other makes as well. Unfortunately, the push rod they give
you has a threaded clevis on the already installed threaded push rod. It
is impossible to make this combination as short as the original one
piece unit, so the pedal cannot be connected at the proper location.

I had to remove the provided push rod (requiring cautious circlip
removal) and but the original in its place.  The new rubber boot will
stretch over the original clevis-pushrod.

Tiger Tom is correct, there is no valve in the servo, other than that on
the vacuum supply line.

A complete description and drawings of all parts is in the Rootes
Workshop Manual, which is online at TigersUnited.com under the "Rootes
Resources" label, with the hot-link "Workshop Manual":

http://www.TigersUnited.com/wsm/wsm1.asp

It  is "Section K" and covers the master cylinder and the servo, as well
as all other brake related items.

The exploded view of the master cylinder (Fig. 6) shows the original
push rod (1) and circlip (2).

Steve

--

Steve Laifman