Re: Power Loc Differential

To: Jim Blackwood <jblackwood5@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: Power Loc Differential
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:33:57 -0800
Observations in passing,

As reported on the TigersUnited.com web site, the Tiger 2.88 gear set,
made for the Salisbury Axle by DANA's GB subsidiary (who also supplies
Jaguar with the DANA 44 LSD) is NOT the same as the US built Ford
product in ONE specific place.  Referring to the Rootes Workshop Manual,
Section G - Rear Axle, Fig 1 (also on web site), The Differential Hypoid
Drive (ring) Gear (Item 6) is attached to the bolts that hold the this
ring gear to the Differential Case (Item 7) are LARGER.  So, therefore,
are the holes in this part.  The same is true for the Jag.  The US
equivalents are not available in this ratio, and use smaller diameter
bolts in the ratios that are available. A stepped bolt will attach a US
gear to the case (part with all the holes).

On the other hand, a 2.88 gear is a fine ratio with the Top Loader wide
ratio gear set. It provides good acceleration in all gears, yet
maintains the same 72 mph at 3,000 rpm as stock.  Another example
covered in the Forum notes on this subject is the Limited Slip DANA 44,
made for the Mk II Jaguar, is a direct bolt-in replacement.

Hope this helps,

Steve

--

Steve Laifman