tiger clutch (1st time thought I new all) .............LOL

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: tiger clutch (1st time thought I new all) .............LOL
From: BAYER77@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:25:02 EST
My first Tiger
       AT 14 my first car was a 289 tiger. My dad gave it to me, he could see
the grin on my face and wide eyes every time he went off racing without me
leaving his tiger at home. Just wondering when I would have the balls to even
think about taking his tiger out. 3 golden rules in our house and shop.
       1. DON'T MESS WITH THE TIGER
                   & performance racing parts. ( some have found there way to
my car )
       2. Any and all tools put back in the proper resting place after done
using
             (not left on floor, fenderwells, work bench, outside, or my
box....LOL )
       3. Stealing & lying
             (trust is a big thing in our house and shop, a mans word and
hand shake to this day means a great deal).
       Anyway my dad gave me a tiger & said I could do anything I wanted as
long as it is done rite. So first on list is yank motor and tranny, strip to
bear metal and rebuild from ground up. So at 14 with already years of
experience working on personal and performance cars. I new all and could do
all (so I thought) .
       So off to work I go start disassembling like boy chasing his love. IM
under the car when dad comes over and starts to offer his knowledge and
advice as to the best way to remove the power plant and tranny. Dad come on
it's not a problem, if I can do the pantera, lotus, and the modified then
this is simple. Thinking too my self, give me a break how many times have I
work on his tiger. getting my hands and fingers into places and position that
God didn't plan on. Any way off he went with a smile & back to work I went.
1st great idea was to take motor and trannyout as one unit. Ya right works on
the mustangs on a lift but not the tiger. set it back down and now separate
the top loader from bell housing, ya right nice thought (dad would come out
and look laugh and walk away) now with top loader pushed back tried to
separate bellhousing from motor to drop flywheel and clutch so that could
pull motor.  Remember IM 14 and have all the answers (( so I thought)) anyway
not enough room.
       So here I am tranny pushed back bellhousing floating free between
block and toploader and to make things a little harder I pulled the tranny
back far enough that it pulled out of the pilot shaft bearing and now IM
screwed. I cant get the tranny and bellhousing back so that I can get the
motor back on its mounts to start over.
       So I swallowed my pride went inside and asked dad for some help or
advise. he looked at me smiled and laughed as he walked back into the shop to
work on the modified. The car sat there for just about a month before he
would help.
       The lesson: When some has the knowledge and experience that is only
trying to help and not make you look bad, listed and learn. Those what seem
like long drawn out stories really do have meaning and help. now when ever he
offers his insight i listen. and even now at 40 years old I am still learning
       Thanx dad