Re: Brake Problems

To: Dan & Lori Fitzgerald <danlorifitz@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Problems
From: sosnaenergyconsulting <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:23:03 -0800
Hi Dan:
Your booster might not need rebuilding again, but it might be sticking.
You might want to take a look at the leather seal around the piston.  Is
it dry, or flexible?  If it's dry, you might try soaking it in a mixture
of neatsfoot oil and mineral spirits--I think that's what Smitty uses
(619-233-7937--let the phone keep ringing; he doesn't have an answering
machine).
If the leather seal is flexible, you might check to make sure the inside
of the 'can' is lubricated.  If it is, you could check the inside of the
'can' for pitting.  I had the latter problem with my alpine, causing the
piston to stick even after rebuilding.  The 'can' was so badly pitted
that I had to get another one, which I polished inside--worked like a
charm.  I should probably rebuild the booster on the Tiger, but the way
my luck runs it'd turn into a hairball--and I've already got one of
those going on right now :-).

Regards

David Sosna