Re: Desk top Dyno fun

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Desk top Dyno fun
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:42:56 -0800
I don't know if this is a factor, but a friend of mine who works for Shelby
says that at a given displacement an engine will only make a certain amount
of torque. Thus, (according to him) the only way to get more horsepower out
of that spacific displacement is to increase the RPM (he did not elaborate
on bore and stroke configurations). Is there a point where strenthening  the
components (and likely increasing mass) to sustain the higher RPM does not
allow the engine to reach that the intended RPM? I don't know.
   Just another though that might have already been mentioned on the matter
is that a short sroke is said to be conducive to higher RPM. To obtain a
similar size displacement with a short stroke one would have to increase the
bore size. Increasing the bore size would allow the use of bigger valves,
which should help to increase RPM. Anyway, I don't want to get too far from
the discussion, but thought I would throw a few beans into this multi
vegatable soup (as it were). Tom Witt B9470101