Re: more soft top restoration questions

To: geowiz@cox-internet.com ("James E. Pickard")
Subject: Re: more soft top restoration questions
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:09:10 -0500
Jim
As you know, there are two different tops for a Tiger,
depending on whether it is a MK I or MK IA/II.  The
early Tigers used a wire on the sides over the window
while the later Tigers used velcro.  I belive the
Making of the Tiger deliniates when the top changed.

Most of the top frames were painted that funny grey
that Sunbeam uses.  A close match is a GM Truck grey.
I have seen some top frames that are black.

The front bow and the back bow are wrapped in a grey
foam backed vinyl.  On the early tops, three shock
straps run from the front bow to the windscreen
bow.  The later Tigers had only one strap from the
front bow to the windscreen.  Look at your front
windshield piece and you should see small indentations
where the straps went.  The straps were attached to
the front bow and windshield piece with pop rivets.
These were probabaly the same pop rivets used to hold
the VIN plate!  Look for the holes in the front bow to
see where they went.  All Tigers then had a single
shock strap running from the front bow to the back
bow. It was joined to the center strap running from
the front windshield and pop riveted together to the
front bow using thru small metal piece.  The back was
pop riveted to the back bow.

The three (or one) front straps were black rubberized
straps.  A close match can be found at sewing centers
where reuphostery goods are sold.  You'll have to dye
it black. The single back strap was grey cloth (not elastic).

Installing a top correctly is not easy.  I believe
Dave Reina of TE/AE wrote a great 'how to' as well as
gave a seminar at one of our Uniteds.

When I replaced my top myself years ago, I discovered
that there are two different velcro tops for the Tiger.
Late MK IA (Like mine) and MK II tops are wider than
the other MK IA's.  I ordered a top from SS and found
it was short about 3 inches in width.  My local top
dealer showed two different numbers on for the MK IA
and another for the MK II.  He ordered a MK II top
and it fit fine.  No body else believes this.

Dave Johnson (temporarily in Decatur, IL)