RE: Cooling Problems

To: "wgegg" <wrgegg@attbi.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cooling Problems
From: "Allan Connell, Jr" <alcon@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:48:27 -0800
Bill,

1) At 190 degrees, you should not be puking coolant, are you sure all of the
air is out of the system?  If not, it will puke for a while, especially on
short runs, until the air is purged from the system.  Bubbles in the system
lead to areas where steam can form; expanding and pushing out water/coolant.
2) Is the expansion tank (coolant reserve) only HALF full?  Anymore than
that and it will puke with some frequency.
3) Are you sure your temp gauge and sending unit are accurate?  Suggest you
cross-reference first with either a heat probe attached to your Fluke meter
or one of those hand-held temp sensors (looks a bit like a radar gun,) which
most mechanics and all radiator shops have these days.
4) Is the original fan shroud in place?  If not, that makes one heckuva
difference.
5) IMHO, you should not need the electric pusher fan if you have the RIGHT
fan in place on the front of the engine.  Since the Ford (Canadian) fan from
the Mavericks with air conditioning is hard to find, a Volvo fan has been
used as a replacement with great results.

Check these out first Bill before we start talking about a high-efficiency
core, which always starts a nice debate between originality phreaks and
those that favor aluminum cores.

There's much more on www.TigersUnited.com you might want to check out.

Let us know.  I will be off the list for a few days traveling on business.
Count on the balance of the brain trust here to help you out.

Regards,

AC