260 vs HiPo 289 cylinder heads

To: <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Subject: 260 vs HiPo 289 cylinder heads
From: "Doug & Rett Leithauser" <dleit@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:05:19 -0500
Bob, and listers,
I believe at least some of the Tiger 260 heads are very similar to the HiPo
289, sharing the same casting as the HiPo 289.
My own original, 3 core plug 260 has cylinder heads with casting # C40E-B.
Monroes book indicates that some 1964 HiPo 289's use these same castings.
With ports & combustion chambers being unfinished castings, it appears that
the ports are the same, chamber is the same, but the HiPo 289 uses a larger
intake valve. The early versions of the 260 appear to have used a head more
similar to the 221, but the later version shared the 289 head.
 It is interesting to note that the horsepower rating of 260 & the HiPo 289
does not change, though during their production runs, each engine was built
with at least 2 different cylinder heads.
This leads me to believe that once a number is chosen, h.p. ratings stay the
same even though major changes are made to the engine.
 None of this changes my original comment, that the aftermarket heads are
not generally suitable for a 260.

Doug