speedometer update

To: "Tiger List \(E-mail\)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: speedometer update
From: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@cox-internet.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 23:50:21 -0600
I have successfully rebuilt my speedometer thanks to Larry Paulick's article
on TU.  I tested it with a drill (running in reverse) and the needle moves
and both odometers advance.  While I was at it, I moved the odometer ahead
from 95000 (I have no idea if that is the correct original mileage) to
00000.  It is easy to do, and you can move it backwards as well - good to
know for those of you in CA who may have to keep their mileage below 12000
per year.  Once I get my new cable from SS I'll  be all set.

One bit of advice on reassembling your speedometer.  Getting the two little
springs on the cam driven arms in place is the hardest part.  Put the
springs first, before you install the arms, and use clay or tape to hold it
on the arm.  This makes the task MUCH easier.

And if your cable breaks, check the speedometer before you install a new
cable, or you are likely to have to do the job twice.  The cable broke for a
reason and it probably wasn't just age.  I learned the hard way.

Now if Theo's tach will just get here, I'll have a full set of working
instruments, not counting the Luca ammeter, of course.

Jim Pickard
B9473298