RE:Porsche wheels

To: "Tigers (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:Porsche wheels
From: Bennett Cullen-R51465 <Cullen.Bennett@Motorola.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:46:47 -0700
>Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:58:35 -0700
>From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
>Subject: Re: Porsche 924 Wheels
>
>According to one web site, the 924 wheels are 4 x 4.25 bolt pattern. The
>site was posted by one of the listers and it has a lot of wheels mentioned
>with the correct pattern, but unfortunately no back spacing data.
>
>mayf
Hi Guys,
I have been running the Porsche wheels on my Tiger for several years now with
no shims or spacers. You have probably seen them and didn't notice since they
have
a real "period" apparence to them. (with a wider footprint). I had them
machined
for the steel "V" inserts and the inside hole opened up about 1/4" for front
hub
clearance. They are 14" wheels with the correct pattern. I had them polished at
local shop and the guy said later that he would not do another set for that
price
($200), because he had to bead blast the clear hard coat anodize off them first
before he could polish them. Luckily I got 5 of them done at that time. It is
still a good price for a nice set of wheels. The junk yard sold them for $25
each.
The standard Porsche emblem can be ground off the center of the plastic hubcap
and
SS has a stick-on Tiger decal that just happens to be the exact size to go in
the
center. I'd have to look at the tire size to be sure (from memory) 205-60R14
with
a "X" rating Dunlop fits nicely with no trimming. As I remember, the front
valence
had to be pulled out about 1/4" inch for clearance but not cut. The entire
stack-up
of tire sidewall height and 14" wheel came to the exact same height as the
original
13" wheel with "skinny" tire and did not require a change of speedo gear. But
the
width went from about 3-1/2" to about 8-1/2".
Cullen Bennett (B9472658) Tempe AZ