Non Tiger-- Front end alignment

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Non Tiger-- Front end alignment
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 11:44:26 EDT
Front end alignment.

My son is purchasing a used, low mileage 2001 S10 Chevy pickup.  The truck is
excellent and owned by a retired gentleman.  When I test drove it I noticed
that with hands off the wheel that it wandered to the right and would be off
the road in about 300-400 feet.  I tried this on a variety of roads.  I've
been told by a few alignment people over the years that vehicle specs and
design make an allowance for the crown in the road and that a car should go
straight even on a crowned road.

I mentioned this fact to the owner and he claimed that he had the local Chevy
dealership check the alignment twice and that it was spot on.  They went on
to tell him that it's designed this way so that if a driver feel asleep at
the wheel that the car would drift off the road to the right rather than into
oncoming traffic.  This seems like the wildest story that I've heard in quite
a while.

The thing that lends a slight credence to the story is that the man's son is
a long time executive of the dealership and he supposedly looked into it
personally.  The "drift off the road story" came back from him.

Well, is this all BS or what??
Mark L.