Intermittent Stalling Problem Again

Subject: Intermittent Stalling Problem Again
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 14:49:36 -0700
I thought I'd solved this a couple of months ago but yesterday it came
back. Driving down the road, the Tiger will suddenly just kind of
"bump", like it's missed a beat. It hasn't stalled (yet) while cruising
down the road or the freeway, although it did that on its previous
appearance. It is also frequently just shutting down while I'm at a stop
while idling. I just drove it with the fuel pump (battery) access door
open to listen to the pump (a Pertronix "cube" unit...puts out 5 lbs
constant pressure) and, sure enough, while idling to make a turn, the
motor shut off. The pump continued to click away, with no apparent
change in its sound, though. The Tiger instantly starts right back up
when this happens. Temps. out today are around 75-80 degrees, so not too
hot.

I checked voltage at the fuel pump and it's around 12 voltswith the key
on, but not running, and 13-14 volts with the motor running so voltage
doesn't seem to be a problem. I guess there could be a momentary "blip"
in the voltage while I'm driving, temporarily shutting down the pump,
but it doesn't seem so.

When this happened the last time I sent my Pertronix ignition back to
Pertronix for testing and it checked out perfectly. I changed the coil
at the same time. The white wire from the pump to the ignition switch
seems to be connected solidly.

One sign of what may be trouble is when I chenged both fuel filters (I
have one in the stock position in the eng. compartment and another just
before the fuel pump) last night, thinking that may be the problem, I
found a whole lot of black paint flakes from the tanks in the filter by
the pump. The filter next to the carb was completely clean. Could some
of that paint be lodged in the fuel pump, but only intermittently shut
down the fuel flow?

I'm stumped again. I'm about ready to replace the fuel pump with my
spare, but I don't want to do that and still not be sure what's going
on. I'm also going to make sure the Pertronix module is still firmly
screwed in (and grounded).

Any ideas and suggestions out there?

Thanks!
Steve Sage