A- arm to fulcrim pin alignment problem

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: A- arm to fulcrim pin alignment problem
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 19:34:42 -0700
  I have encountered a strange situation while installing my new bushings (SS
black) in my upper A-arm. After pressing in the bushing there is about a 1/8"
gap (total) between the inner edges of the bushing and the washers.
  Prior to installation I checked all around the bushing housings (with a
straight edge) to make sure they were square and parallel (which they were). I
also properly supported the arm while pressing in the bushings (any
mis-pressing would have lessened the gap anyway). The bushings are firmly
seated and the bevel washers are installed properly (as are the housings
themself, they are welded in - prior to pressing of course). I compared my two
upper fulcrim pins and they had identical size at the bevel washer mounting
points. I then compared the distance between my two upper A-arm bushing
housings and indeed there is about an 1/8" difference (larger) in the one with
the problem (apparently an error from day one)!
  It does not seem wise try to compress the gap because it would distort the
bushings out of alignment with each other and put undue wear on the outer
surface of the bushing. I am considering using hardened washers (outside of
the bevel washer) to space the gap. This is really need not only to fill in
the gap, but to insure that the center radiused groove in the center piece
stays in alignment with the hole for greasing purposes (yea, I did that
modification too).
   Any comments on the hardened washers as spacers, or any other  remedy for
this obviously mismanufactured part?

Thanks for your input.  Regards, Tom Witt  B9470101

P.S. I was talking with a guy at the CAT swapmeet last week and he said that
when he put his bushings in the freezer they practically dropped in. I did the
same, greased them, and had already EXTENSIVELY honed out the housing (until
any trace of machining grooves and removal scratches were gone).  Well, not
impossible, but it still took some effort to get them in (and yes, they were
going in straight). One would think my car had assembly started on a Friday
afternoon and finished on a Monday morning given all the oddities it has!!!