Re: Tiger Mk III - 2005

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tiger Mk III - 2005
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 01:44:48 -0700
Steve, et al,
    I just wanted to throw a little hash in the broth.  There were probably
many cars with engine compartments big enough to stuff a V-8 into back then
when everything was capacious.  I've doubt in the downsized new millennium if
there are any, but I wanted to hear ideas from people who pay more attention
to new stuff than I do.
    I'm not against the concept of ideas for a new Tiger from scratch like the
new Mini.  However, I found the recent thread about prices and a 'following'
to be very interesting.  I think Mike Wood had it closest;  you have to have
had a following originally to command one later on.  The Tiger had such a
narrow niche.  It was too fast and American for the Brit crowd.  But it's
feminine styling and showroom stock tepidness made American muscle buffs
uneasy.
    So that leaves a similar niche today that probably isn't going to grow
enough to affect prices.  Fine with me.  But I'm uneasy with the concept of a
'new' Tiger unless we incorporate some of that outsider, underdog heritage.
The one phrase I left out was "Poor Man's Cobra", because I hated it so much
back in college.  But that's what I'm thinking of.  I envision a $15,000 car
that you could sell to all those kids who hop up rice burners, something that
with a little work (THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR CUBIC INCHES!!) could go out
hunting $30,000 cars.
    When Chrysler gave Carroll a bunch of money and said "Give us a modern
Cobra", he did.  A modern 427 Cobra that very few people on this list could
afford.  He did not give them a modern AC ACE with a 260 in it.  If the Tiger
had survived into the late 60's, some of us wouldn't be worrying about
ackerman angle and would have very expensive cars.  We don't and I like my
Tiger.  Most high interest cars of the 60's (not exotics) were factory
platforms that the 'car guys' in the company finally got to play with.  Start
a separate contest, make a Tiger for the masses!

                           Chris