RE: Ignition

To: Scott Hutchinson <shutchin@netjets.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Ignition
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:56:16 -0600
The resistor limits the current to the coil, to prevent the coil from
overheating. If the coil you're using was originally intended to be used
with a resistor, then keep using that resistor. If you're using a
performance coil that is designed from the outset to be used without a
resistor then you can leave it off.

Pertronix claims lots more energy from the coil when it's used without a
resistor, and that's true, but if you increase the coil output to the
point where it slowly burns through the insulation then you're going to
be stuck on the side of the road at some point, most likely on a hot
day.

Theo