Major Frustration and a Question

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Major Frustration and a Question
From: "Stuart Brennan" <stubrennan@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:58:09 -0400
I headed off for British Car Day this morning a bit late, but little did
I know that the fun was just beginning.  At the end of my street I
notice that one of the top boot snaps was loose, so I stopped to fix it.
I pulled up in the hand brake lever, and it came all the way up, no
resistance.   Oops...

I did a quick check of the lever (all appeared OK), and there was
nothing hanging down under the car.  So I did a 10 second assessment of
my situation.  I was already late, and something involving the rear
brakes has gone missing, and I was headed for Boston (traffic,
stoplights every 100 yds).  I don't think so. So it was back home, and
the Explorer was pressed into service.

Anyway, back home this afternoon, I found the pin that held the cable
end onto the passenger side parking brake lever arm had disappeared.  It
was there yesterday.  Since things were apart I decided that I would
adjust the brake so it would grab a bit lower on the lever.  Of course,
the adjuster in the cable at the RR wheel was frozen.  I was about the
heat it, when I began to think about the cable coming into the threaded
part.  How is it attached?  Soldered?  Brazed?   Should I think about
heating it or not?  If not, then how should I adjust the brake setting?

Stu