RE: Hot Wire

To: "Steve Sage" <ssage@socal.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Hot Wire
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 19:48:39 -0700
Steve,

I strongly doubt the short length of wire you are using would cause the
intermittent problem you describe. But I am uncertain as to why you needed
to add three more loops around the pickup, unless you are also running an
MSD-6 or similar device that reduces the current drain through the
distributor. I went to the Pertronics Website and they recommend you measure
the coil voltage and resistance and don't run more than 8 amperes. It does
not say to remove the ballast from the circuit if it's needed to keep the
current within spec. I don't know any reason why changing to solid-state
points would change the running voltage of the coil. There are 12V coils and
9V coils. If you use a ballast, then you should use a 9V coil. If you have
removed the ballast, then you need a 12V coil, which most any European car
(BMW, Audi, MB, etc.) will use. My guess is that you are overheating the
coil and it is going intermittent on you. Buy a good 12V coil for about $25
and maybe your problem will go away.

Bob Palmer
rpalmer@ucsd.edu
robertpalmer@paulhastings.com