Hot Wire

Subject: Hot Wire
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:06:20 -0700
I'm gradually cleaning up the Tiger's behind the dash wiring. As usual,
I thought I had solved my what I think was an ignition problem, with the
engine suddenly stalling, or giving a serious "bump" while driving down
the highway. Tonight, though, I again got one of those "bumps" at 70 MPH
on the freeway, like the ignition key was very briefly shut off, then
back on again.

Looking and feeling around behind the dash, I noticed that the white
wire from the harness to the tach sensor (the plug that goies into the
back of the tach) was pretty warm. Not really hot, but pretty warm. When
I installed my 50,000 volt Pertronix ignition, to get the tach to read
right, I had to cut the white wire to the tach, and add a length of
thinner wire to it to wrap around the tach sensor four extra times. The
tach has read perfectly ever since. I know, though, that larger wire to
thinner wire is going to create some resistance and heat.

Could that wire heat to a point where it creates enough resistance to
affect the operation of the ignition or coil, to where it briefly
"burps" off briefly, like it still does on occassion?

Steve Sage